Online Certificate Programs: Getting Started
Thank you for registering for an NYU Stern Online Certificate Program! We look forward to your participation in our online certificate course.
To help you prepare for the course, please carefully review the information below.
In order to access the course, you will receive login credentials via email on the start date of the course by 5:00 PM ET. Your course start date is available on its corresponding course page which you can navigate to from here.
If you register and pay for your program after the registration deadline, you will receive your course access and account activation emails in the same email. The earliest you will receive this information will be your program's start date and it may take up to 5 business days after you've made your payment for the program for you for receive this email.
Before accessing this program, you will first need to activate your NYU account. Activation instructions for your login credentials will be provided, however, they are also listed below for your convenience:
- Navigate to start.nyu.edu
- Follow the instructions and use your Date of Birth and NYU IDs (listed in your account activation or course access email, depending upon when you registered - see above) to set your password and activate your account*
*If you encounter any issues while activating your account, please refer to our Troubleshooting Tips section below.
- If you receive the error message "We did not find a match in our records for NetID (Your NetID) with (Your NID) and your entered date of birth (...)", please follow the instructions below to resolve this matter:
- Please refer to the confirmation email that was sent to you when you originally registered for (Your Program Name) for the date of birth (DOB) that we have in our records. Please reach out to us (firstname.lastname@example.org) if this DOB is different than your actual DOB.
- This email has the subject line "Your Registration Form for (Your Program) - Please Save for Your Records"
- Try reversing the month and day in your DOB. For example, if you were born on January 5, 1990 and you receive an error message when entering 01/05/1990, try entering 05/01/1990. It is possible that your month and day are reversed in our system and this reversal would cause the error message. Please reach out to us (email@example.com) if you encounter this issue.
- If you have previously been affiliated with NYU and also receive the "We did not find a match in our records for" error message after attempting different DOB variations, you may need to reset your password.
- An NYU affiliation may mean that you have previously taken courses at NYU, been employed at NYU, or have submitted an application to one of NYU's schools.
- If one of the above is true, please navigate to the "Reset Password" page of the stern.nyu.edu website and attempt to reset your password. You will need your NetID to do so and can follow the steps to have password reset instructions sent to the email address listed on that webpage.
- If the email address listed on this page is one you no longer have access to, please contact the NYU IT team via email at AskIT@nyu.edu or by phone at 212-998-3333 for more assistance.
- If you have completed all steps of the activation process and come to a blank page with the error message "Error: Session Error. Please start over.", please try the following tips:
- When entering your answers for the Security Questions step, please refrain from using any special characters (#,$,*, ¿, ¡, etc.) or letters with an accent or tilde (á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ, etc.). Using either of these character types will cause your answers to note be captured and the process to break.
- If you have not used any special characters and you still get a blank page, please try using a different internet browser, clearing your cache and cookies, and using incognito mode to complete this process.
- If you have tried each of the above steps and still encounter an issue, please reach out to the NYU IT Service Desk team via email at AskIT@nyu.edu or by phone at 212-998-3333.
Please note: if you have paid for a course after its registration and payment deadline, it will take up to 5 business days for you to receive your login credentials in order to access the course site.
All courses (except Visualizing Data, Coding in R for Data, and BUNDLE: Coding + Visual Analytics):
BUNDLE: Coding + Visual Analytics and Visualizing Data:
Bundle: Coding + Visual Analytics and Coding in R for Data:
Please review the materials associated with the course you have registered for below (all available digitally):
Please expect to invest the following amount of time per week to course lessons, exercises, and assignments:
In 2001, Stern became the first business school to establish its own center for exploring new models in teaching and learning. The NYU Stern Learning Science Lab is a team of creatives, educators, designers, and technologists who work closely with faculty to create engaging and interactive courses. Leveraging the resources of Stern and NYU at large, the team applies their expertise in user experience design, learning science, and video production to build immersive digital learning environments for business school education.Online Learning Terminology
The term "asynchronous" refers to courses or course elements that can be completed at any time within the parameters of the course schedule. Asynchronous activities are things you do independently, like watch videos and complete assignments, and interactions with others over time via email, discussion forums, collaborative documents, and other channels.
The term "synchronous" refers to learning with others in real time using videoconferencing and other technologies.
Our online certificate courses are asynchronous with optional synchronous elements.Live Online Meetups with Faculty
Our live online meetups provide you with the opportunity to engage face-to-face with the professor that teaches your course. Please note that all online meetups are recorded and are available for your viewing at a later time. Missing a meetup will not impact your grade, however we recommend attending all sessions.Online Programs Team Support
Throughout the course, you will be able to communicate with your course’s teaching fellow(s) as well as our course support team. You will receive contact information for both in the syllabus of your course.
All of our online courses are non-credit, pass/fail courses. To pass any course, you will need a cumulative score of at least 55%. Upon successful completion of a course, you will receive an NYU Stern Certificate.
Your certificate will be provided by an external vendor and includes a PDF certificate that you can print as well as a digital badge you can include on your LinkedIn profile.
Once you successfully complete the course, you will be invited to join our LinkedIn Alumni Group, where you can continue to network with your classmates and meet those who completed the course before you. You will also qualify for a 15% discount on future online certificate courses.
If you are enrolled in Advanced Valuation or Corporate Finance, you will receive access to our free bonus course, Essentials of Financial Accounting, approximately two weeks prior to the start date of either course. Please note that if you have registered for Advanced Valuation or Corporate Finance within two weeks of the course start date, your access to Essentials of Financial Accounting will be delayed.
This course is taught by Professor Amal Shehata and includes one optional live online meetup that is recorded and available for your viewing at a later time. It is available to participants for the duration of Advanced Valuation and/or Corporate Finance.
Students that participate in this free bonus course will not receive a grade or certificate.
Join Our Mailing List
Stay up to date on new courses, special events, free content and more. Enter your email address below to subscribe.